Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Birthing Class & Other News

Birthing classes are kind of fun and weird. We found out about all sorts of things that were of course good for us to know, but I think we mostly just laughed at the things going on. Hopefully I can keep my head in that mindset when I'm actually going through it. :-) I think what Brian got out of class is that birth videos seem to show random nudity, not relating at all to what the voice is saying. Granted the women are in labor and not really all that concerned, but come on editors. I think my favorite part of the class was during the breathing exercises. All the dads were supposed to hold up so many fingers for how many times we were supposed to breath in, and then once we did that number, we'd breath out. Well Brian held up three fingers, and only breathed in twice, while I breathed in three. We laughed so hard. I imagine we were pretty loud, but it was so funny.

My other favorite part: We were about to start a different breathing exercise when Brian's eyes suddenly get really wide and he starts shaking his head. I just stared at him and asked if he was OK, but he got up and left. The woman doing the class just looked at me and said, "No baby for you." No kidding. We did the exercise, and when he came back I asked him what happened. He said when he was taking in the deep breath a fly went straight up his nose, and pretty far up there, and it was still kicking around!

I'll be full term tomorrow! Abby's still hanging in there; she hasn't dropped down yet, so I guess I still have more time. On Thursday I had an appointment and I was dilated 1 cm! That's one less I have to worry about when it's go time. I have another appointment this Friday so we'll see how it goes. Contractions are still coming, but they're the normal painless ones I've felt for a few months now. Still, Brian and I keep hoping she'll come soon and are really excited!

Brian's doing really well balancing all the things that he's doing. He finished a rough draft of a paper this week and will be submitting that pretty soon. He's also a great hubby, as always, and taking care of me. He's also keeping up with his classes. Even if he barely feels like he's hanging on, it seems to me he's been working like a champ. I'm excited for the Christmas break when he'll have about a month and a half "off." He'll have research, but at least no school. That will good bonding time for our little family. So, we're still waiting for the time bomb (me) to go off, and until then, it's just business as usual.

2 comments:

Julie said...

See Brian - I told you stats didn't make any sense. Now you're so far into it you can't even count anymore. Good luck Jenn - those last few weeks are killer, but you'll be a great mom.

Tara said...

That story is hilarious! Hang in there! My sister was due on the 26th and she is still waiting, too. They are worth the wait. Enjoy your sleep while you can (if that is possible 9 months pregnant). Your little cutie will be here soon :). Have a great week!